EMAS 20th anniversary high level conference materials online
You can now access a variety of materials online following the high level EMAS conference where celebrated its 20th anniversary where participants look at the scheme’s achievements and also looked forward to its contribution to the circular economy and energy efficiency. See also the latest video on EMAS. With EMAS being applied to over 4 000 organisations on 7 000 throughout the EU. Key among its success factor according to the conference participants were the presence of qualified environmental professionals and auditors that take the scheme beyond an official registration with government bodies. Going beyond the standards of the widely used ISO 14001 environmental management system, EMAS requires legal compliance, public reporting through an EMAS environmental statement, and independent third-party audits by government-approved environmental verifiers. The scheme also demands employee engagement and stakeholder involvement.
And as excellence in environmental performance has become the norm, there are growing numbers eager to apply EMAS. The scheme has constantly broadened its appeal. To make implementation easier for small- and micro-businesses, the Commission developed the ‘EMAS Easy’ methodology. Using simple and sequential tables and prompts, smaller businesses can now develop an Environmental Management System covering all EMAS requirements and standards.
The programme, speeches and presentations are now online:-
- Plenary session, Speech of Karmenu Vella, European Commissioner for Environment, Maritime Affairs and Fisheries delivered by Kestutis Sadauskas, Director 'Green Economy', DG Environment, European Commission
- Plenary session, Speech of Gunther Adler, State Secretary, German Federal Ministry for the Environment (in German)
- Plenary session, Speech of Manfred Greis, Head of Corporate Communications, Viessmann Werke GmbH & Co.
- Closing speech by Kestutis Sadauskas, Director 'Green Economy', DG Environment, European Commission
- Session 1 (Watch presentations)
- Ana Ferrón: Environmental management in a circular economy
- Anne Lenaerts: From waste to iNNOFation
- Jordi Bosacoma: Unlock the potential of a circular economy through EMAS
- Sami Lundgren: EMAS as a label of excellence in the global value chain
- Qin Yuan: Premium Environmental Management for Companies in China
- Jocelyn Bleriot: Keynote – EMAS as a driver of a circular economy
- Session 2
- Paolo Canfora: Go green with Best Environmental Management Practices
- Petra Bernert: „Partner initiative“ Biosphere Reserve Swabian Alb
- Steve Ransom: The contribution of EMAS to winning a European Green Capital Award
- Serena Losi: EMAS for managing municipalities and territories (Tavarnelle Val di Pesa)
- Wolfgang Teubner: EMAS for sustainable development in cities and municipalities
- Zita Egerszegi: EMAS for managing municipalities and territories (Lake Balaton)
- Session 3
- Annette Schmidt-Räntsch: EMAS and Energy Efficiency
- Eddi Omrcen: Universities as role models for sustainable development
- Fabio Iraldo: The policy case for EMAS
- Maciej Krzyczkowski: Promoting EMAS in the waste sector
- Maria José Sarrias: EMAS in the tourism sector
- Maria Passalacqua: The role of networks: the EMAS Club
- Matthias Friebel: VNU EMAS Club Europe
Read the factsheet about the benefits of the EMAS scheme.